What is Ecotourism?
The International Ecotourism Society defines ecotourism as responsible travel to natural areas that helps to conserve the environment and the well being of the local people.
- To have fun on your holiday.
- Not to damage or wear out what you have travelled to experience.
- To contribute actively to nature preservation and local culture.
- To help make the local economy profitable.
- To stimulate visitors curiosity and respect for place and people visited.
- An efficient way to add economic value to threatened natural areas and cultural sites.
- A way to provide job opportunities and financial benefits for the local people without destroying their natural environment. A way to have the cake and eat it too.
- A successful business idea that leads to concrete results whether in Lapland, Central Africa or hundreds of other places around the world.
- A strong profile for countries or destinations promoting tourist trade.
A source of inspiration, setting an example to the entire travel business.
- A business idea that allows commercial tourism to be combined in a respectful and profitable way with traditional economy and culture.
- A kind of tourism that improves natural and cultural preservation with lower environmental impact than normal tourism.
- More fun for those involved: the traveller, the tour operator, local inhabitants and animals.
One of the fastest growing areas of international tourism.
- A success story that has actively contributed to the building of environmental and cultural awareness around the world during the last decade.
Let´s go !